My Words to Live By

What is success? To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty; To find the best in others; To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived; That is to have succeeded. - Ralph Waldo Emerson


What Drives Your Life?

Wow, this chapter has me pegged!! It discusses some of the possible driving forces, all of which have controlled my life at some point: guilt, resentment, anger, fear, materialism, and need for approval. I've worked through those things in my life and felt pretty good as I read through those sections. But then one short paragraph, only one sentence long, really got me:

"There are other forces that can drive your life but all lead to the same dead end: unused potential, unnecessary stress, and an unfulfilled life."

That sentences sums me up. I constantly feel like I am doing nothing important with my life. Although I am very happy and really don't want to change anything, I still feel unfulfilled in some ways. But that's what this book is going to help me find: finding God's purpose for my life.

The section "Knowing your purpose simplifies your life" makes me REALLY look forward to finishing this book lol. Knowing your purpose "defines what you do and what you don't do... People who don't know their purpose try to do too much- and that causes stress, fatigue, and conflict." WOW, THAT'S ME!!! Paul said, "I am focusing all my energies on this one thing: forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead." That's what I want to do.

The Question to Consider at the end of the chapter bothered me because I have no idea what the answer would be: "What would my family and friends say is the driving force of my life?"

No comments:

Post a Comment