My Words to Live By

What is success? To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty; To find the best in others; To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived; That is to have succeeded. - Ralph Waldo Emerson


Search for Peace... and FIGHT to maintain it.

Our VBS memory scripture this week was 1 Peter 3:15, so that's where my Bible study began today. "Always be ready to tell what you know about Jesus" is what the kids and I repeated at every assembly along with our "secret agent hand signals"! But today, I began to really look at 1 Peter 3 as a whole, and the Lord has given me exactly what my tired heart needed to hear.

1 Peter 3:11 says, "Search for peace, and work to maintain it." (NLT)

"Work to maintain it" is what my version of the Bible says, but I say we must fight to maintain peace. Maintaining joy and peace through the struggles of everyday life is a constant battle, but one worth fighting daily!! No feeling I have ever experienced comes even remotely close to the joy I have in my salvation and the peace of knowing that God is in control 24/7.

Peter basically gives a warning in chapter 3, telling Christians to be prepared to suffer for what is right. Lately, my life has been going great, and I'm doing my best to soak it all in and enjoy every second because I know the devil awaits right around the corner. Peter's message affirmed that for me today. I know my work for Christ is making the devil angry and he is simply waiting for the right moment to sucker-punch me in the gut.

But this peace and joy I have is not a result of my happy circumstances. It is the result of Christ living in me and through me. If the devil attacks and I should suffer for serving Christ, then I resolve to suffer with joy and peace in my heart.

God is God always, in the good times and the bad. I believe that when you pour out yourself for Him, He fills you back up with more than you had before. That's what He is doing for me today.

So I encourage you to take time to replenish your heart and mind for Christ because the devil awaits just around the next bend. He is going to attack whether you are ready or not, so you need to be prepared. Put on the full armor of God, then rest in the calm assurance that the victory is already yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment