My Words to Live By

What is success? To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty; To find the best in others; To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived; That is to have succeeded. - Ralph Waldo Emerson


Needs vs. Wants

While reading my devotion today, I kept coming back to this sentence: "If you don't have it - whatever it is - it's because you don't need it."

I have so many wants in my life that change on a daily basis- I want a job that pays on a steady basis, I want to have the same "weekend" as my husband (his off days are Mon/Tues and mine are Sat/Sun), I want a deck to go across the back of my house, I want my husband to have a job that doesn't leave him so stressed out, I want more time to work on my sewing and crafts, I want my hands to get better so I can decorate cakes for special occasions again, I want a wireless printer and a scanner, I want a bed of roses in the front of my house, and certain wants- one in particular- that I'm not ready to admit out loud on my blog :-)

God promises to give us everything that we NEED.
He doesn't promise to give us everything we WANT.

Today, I encourage you to make a list of things you WANT. Then, really look at your list from the perspective of what you NEED. Living without those things is much easier when you admit to yourself that you don't need them!!

When I start to look at my list of things I want, I realize how fortunate I am. I don't need a regularly paying job because my bills are more than paid right now. My husband and I don't need two days a week together because we still see each other every day, which is a tremendous improvement from where we were two years ago thousands of miles apart. We don't need a deck, but we do at least need a new roof and steps for our back door. My husband is strong-minded and is good at his job, so maybe he doesn't need a new one; maybe he just needs more encouragement from me when he's at home. I don't need more time for sewing and crafts; I just need to use the time I have more wisely and maybe move a recliner in my sewing room so my hubby and I can still spend time together; he can watch TV while I sew! I don't need to decorate birthday/anniversary cakes for my family members to know that I love them. I don't need a new printer/scanner; I just need to keep my desk organized so I can easily use the one I have. I don't need a bed of roses to see something beautiful every day; the view from my front porch is pretty darn good just the way it is.

God has provided all my needs, and I know He will provide yours, too. You will not go hungry. You will not go without clothing or a roof over your head. You will not go without His love, support, and encouragement if you walk daily with Him and abide in His Word.

If you don't have what you need to do what you're doing, you're doing something wrong.
If you feel led by the Spirit to do something but you aren't financially able or don't have the time, maybe you're misusing the money and/or time God has given you to use.

God promises to give you what you NEED to accomplish what you NEED to do. It's that simple. I hope that you prayerfully consider what God needs you to do today. Hint: it's probably not to build a deck on the back of your house, not matter how bad you want it ;-)

"If you don't have it - whatever it is - it's because you don't need it."

You're never going to be content as long as what you want from life takes priority over what God needs from you.

1 comment:

  1. So funny- I just finished the chapter in my devotional book, and guess what it suggests?!! Making a list of "My Needs" and "God's Provisions." I swear I wrote my devotion above before reading the whole chapter (I stopped after reading "If you don't have it, you don't need it") Then the chapter suggested putting the list somewhere you can easily access it any time you start feeling unsatisfied. I think on a notecard in your wallet might be a good place!

    ReplyDelete