My Words to Live By

What is success? To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty; To find the best in others; To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived; That is to have succeeded. - Ralph Waldo Emerson


Just Putting It Out There

As I sit at my computer working on the set list for Joyful Noise's performance this weekend, I'm experiencing difficulty with what should probably be a simple task. I'm faced with several challenges in making the list of songs: we can't sing two really fast songs back to back because we need to catch our breath, we need to mix up who sings the solos so no one sings lead on several songs in a row, we want to keep the audience entertained so we want to mix in the various styles of music, and we want the messages of the songs to flow smoothly from one to the next.

Yes, I realize we could just get up there and sing (which is what we've been doing for the most part), but I want to do more than just make a joyful noise! I want our songs to be a witness. I want someone to hear "Midnight Cry" and look around at the world today and realize "the signs of the times" really are "appearing everywhere." I want to bring a smile to an old man's face as he thinks of Heaven when we sing "I'm kind of homesick for that country to which I've never been before." I want someone to go home and fall down on their knees because they realize that He'll take them through the fire again and if they rest their case at the cross.

Songs can be so powerful!!! I want our songs to exude the power of God when we open our mouths.

But, you know what?? The order of the songs isn't what is most important. If we sing for the glory of God and allow Him to work through our songs - no matter the order in which we sing them - His will shall be accomplished. Isaiah 55:11 says, "So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall NOT return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."

When we get up in the morning, our purpose every day should be to serve God. In everything we do, our ultimate goal should be to bring glory and honor to His name and to further His kingdom. When we serve Him, His purpose - not ours - shall be accomplished. So whatever you're doing today- whether sitting in class or driving through traffic - ask yourself this question: What am I putting out there TODAY that God can use to "accomplish that which [He] pleases"?

You see, sometimes God simply needs us to put it out there. Sometimes, He just needs us to open our hearts to His guidance, then to open our mouths.

On a sidenote- I have an Iraqi student who asked me today for a Bible to use for a presentation in one of his other classes. How disappointed I was to say I didn't have mine with me!! Fortunately we had a Bible in the office to give him, but I wish I could have given him mine so maybe he would have seen some of the verses I have highlighted or the plan of salvation written on a card stuck in Romans as a bookmark. But I didn't have my Bible. I missed that opportunity. As a result of that incident, I've decided to give Bibles to all of my students who will accept them, so I will be collecting Bibles through Sunday, April 29th. If you'd like to give a Bible (new or used) to one of my international students, please email me at rhondascakes@ymail.com. God's word will NOT return void if we are simply willing to share it.

2 comments:

  1. Great job. Sending you Bibles this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! You can send Bibles to Rhonda Taylor at 2005 County Road 2267, Brundidge, AL 36010. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete