My Words to Live By

What is success? To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty; To find the best in others; To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived; That is to have succeeded. - Ralph Waldo Emerson


Passing the Test and Being Blessed!

As a teacher, I always have one student in each class who wants to know, "What do I have to do to pass this class?" Well, sometimes my gut response - which I keep to myself, of course - is, "Show up for class!" or "Don't sleep at your desk!" You see, often the students who straightforward ask for a passing grade are the students whose names I barely know because they show up so seldomly and complete so few assignments. Then, they often don't understand why I don't just give them an 'A'. I mean, they did politely ask for it, after all. :-)

Are we like that with God sometimes??
Do we ask for Him to bless us
without being willing to go through the trials necessary to receive the blessings?

I recently learned a new song to sing at church titled "Blessings," and the message in this song is so powerful. It truly is my testimony, so I want to share the lyrics with you.
I know what it's like to go through hardships, to be so beaten down and bruised by life that I'd given up hope of ever recovering. I also know what it's like to be blessed beyond belief!! Praise God!

James 1:2-3
Whenever trouble comes your way,
let it be an opportunity for joy.
For when your faith is tested,
your endurance has a chance to grow. (NLT)

Two years ago, I experienced the worst year of my life. My husband was in Iraq, I lost two grandparents and a grandmother-in-law, and I quit my job. I fell into such a deep depression that I can't even describe it to you. I can just say that my ache was so deep that I was in physical pain every day. I couldn't eat without becoming ill; I couldn't sleep for the demons in my mind wouldn't give me a moment of rest. There's a line in this song that says, "What if a thousand sleepless nights are what it takes to know you're near?" That's what 2010 was for me- a thousand sleepless nights. I realize now that I needed to go through that terrible year so I could discover this wonderful relationship with God that I have now. I don't ever want to go through another situation without relying on God to see me through it, and I want you to know that you don't have to face anything without God either!! But to follow Him, we have to trust Him with both the good and the bad times in our lives.

"Blessings"
As sung by Laura Story

We pray for blessings, we pray for peace,
Comfort for family, protection while we sleep.
We pray for healing, for prosperity,
We pray for your mighty hand to ease our suffering.
And all the while you hear each spoken need
Yet love us way too much to give us lesser things.
'Cause what if your blessings come through raindrops?
What if your healing comes through tears?
What if a thousand sleepless nights are what it takes to know you're near?
What if trials of this life are your mercies in disquise?
We pray for wisdom, your voice to hear.
We cry in anger when we cannot feel you near.
We doubt your goodness, we doubt your love
As if every promise from your word is not enough.
And all the while you hear each desperate plea
And long that we'd have faith to believe.
'Cause what if your blessings come through raindrops?
What if your healing comes through tears?
What if a thousand sleepless nights are what it takes to know you're near?
What if trials of this life are your mercies in disquise?
When friends betray us,
When darkness seems to win we know
The pain reminds this heart that this is not,
This is not our home!
It's not our home.

'Cause what if your blessings come through raindrops?
What if your healing comes through tears?
What if a thousand sleepless nights are what it takes to know you're near?
What if my greatest disappointments or the aching of this life
Is the revealing of a greater thirst this world can't satisfy?
What if trials of this life are your mercies in disquise?



Deuteronomy 31:6 states, "Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.” Whatever trial you're facing today, please know that God has a blessing waiting for you on the other side. He never promised life would be easy, but He did promise that you would never have to face anything alone.



No comments:

Post a Comment