My Words to Live By

What is success? To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty; To find the best in others; To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived; That is to have succeeded. - Ralph Waldo Emerson


Do What You Can-- No Excuses!

God has been really dealing with my heart over the last few weeks about doing what He wants me to do. I've made excuses to myself and to Him in the past, but this time I'm trying my best to throw all excuses aside and faithfully serve how He wants me to serve. I want to share with you some of the instances where He has been speaking to me about doing what I can for Him- doing what I can, not what someone else can; doing what have been called to do, living how I have been called to live... without excuses.

On July 29th in the morning church service, Bro. Keith began his message by saying, "What keeps you from being what God wants you to be or doing what he wants you to do? People would come up with all kinds of excuses- physical, financial, etc." Just a couple days before, I had written a blog that said, "Whatever Satan is trying to stop you from accomplishing or however he wants to hold you back in life, don't let him!!" and before that church service began, I'd been talking to a fellow church member who was struggling with some of the same desires for service although things seem to keep standing in the way. This message really hit home! (to see more of Brother Keith's message, visit http://springhillbcsermons.blogspot.com.)

I left church thinking about excuses, I started looking back at my journal and came across several notes over the past few months about doing God's will. Back on July 8th, Bro. Keith's sermon was titled "Lead, Follow, or Get Out of the Way" and he said if you aren't going to do what you need to do, you should just get out of the way. If you aren't joyfully prepared to serve God, you're just hindering His work with your half-hearted service.

Are you serving half-heartedly? If so, what is your excuse?

Monday night, Aaron and I sang at a revival a couple hours away. The message was about choices, and the speaker talked about how people ask, "Why did God allow this to happen?" when they find themselves in difficult situations. He said that people want to play the blame game, that no one wants to take responsibility, and I thought about the old saying- Life is 10% action and 90% reaction. I've always had poor reactions in the past, and this is an area of my life I've given completely over to God. I know I've always been quick to act, slow to think, instead of the other way around, but God is working on changing that.

How do you react when bad things happen? Do you play the blame game? Psalm 119:1 says, "Blessed are those whose way is blameless."
Do you make excuses for how you handle the situation or how you got there in the first place?

In some situations, I think, "What can I possibly do to make this better? How can I possibly help?" At times, there is nothing we can physically do to improve the circumstances, but we can improve how we react to them and how we get through them. We simply have to trust God. I use the word "simply" here because trust- completely letting go of the situation- is something people often find difficult (myself for certain), but it isn't complicated. Faithfully, whole-heartedly trusting Him may be hard, but it is very simple.

In the devotional book I've been studying The Resolution for Women by Priscilla Shirer (ladies- buy this book and read it if you haven't already), one whole unit is about giving your best to Christ. At one point Shirer writes, "Take a second to consider what God has uniquely equipped you to do, as well as what He's asking of you at this particular season of life. Instead of focusing on what you can't do, why not carefully consider how to capitalize on what you can do in a way that will tap into God's presence and power?"

Here's what the Bible says about what you do...
  1. Proverbs 16:3
    Commit to the LORD whatever you do, and he will establish your plans.
  2. 1 Corinthians 10:31
    So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.
  3. Colossians 3:17
    And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.
  4. Colossians 3:23
    Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters
You see, doing what God calls you to do is what matters most, no matter what it is. If you want to really tap into God's power in your life, commit what you do to Him, do it in His name for His glory with all your heart. For Him.

Keep in mind that these scriptures say "whatever YOU do," not what your neighbor does, or what your best friend does, or what your coworker does. It says, "whatever YOU do." For Him.You were called to do something specific for God, something He equipped you personally to do.

Are you fulfilling that purpose today??
Or are you making excuses?

*Visit tomorrow for part two of this blog message: "Your Excuses Are Inadequate-- You Aren't"

No comments:

Post a Comment