My Words to Live By

What is success? To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty; To find the best in others; To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived; That is to have succeeded. - Ralph Waldo Emerson


Pumpkins and Fairy Tales

I spent Saturday morning rocking on my front porch wrapped in an orange and brown afghan, wishing my coffee had a shot of pumpkin spice. Ummm... tis the season for pumpkin! Pumpkin pie, pumpkin spiced latte, pumpkin cheesecake... they all sound so yummy!!

My front porch is currently my favorite place to relax. Other than the occasional tractor, all I hear are cows mooing, birds chirping, and my cat purring. I sit there on my wooden white rocker envisioning my dream home - a cabin out in the woods with a porch all the way around and a fire crackling in the outdoor stone fireplace.

I close my eyes and imagine I'm there.

My little piece of paradise.

My fairy tale.

Which then makes me think of Cinderella, and I hope desperately that this pumpkin of my life turns into a beautiful carriage one day. However, too many people overlook the pumpkin's value because they are dreaming of a fancy carriage and fairy tale ending, and I don't want to be like that - so caught up in something that may never happen that I miss out on the pleasures of every day life.

And the pleasures of my everyday life are really great! On those Saturday mornings on the dirt road listening to birds singing, everything else fades away and I feel as though God created it all just for me to enjoy. No matter what others may have that I don't, they don't have this. Henry David Thoreau wrote, "I would rather sit on a pumpkin, and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion." He was a pretty smart guy.

Today, I'm thankful for my little pumpkin. It may not be a fairy tale, but it sure is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment