My Words to Live By

What is success? To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty; To find the best in others; To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived; That is to have succeeded. - Ralph Waldo Emerson


The Blessing of a Mom and Friend

For years, I've turned to my mama when things were going wrong. I always knew that she'd be there for me no matter what because she was my mom. She's been there for me every day of my life, a steadfast rock. Sometimes, her constant presence and love has made me neglect to think that not everyone has what I have. Not everyone has a caring mother to whom he or she can turn. Not everyone has memories of family dinners, even if it's just pizza or chicken fingers and mac-n-cheese, especially not family dinners several times a week. Not everyone remembers a clean house - except my room, of course - and clean clothes every day. Not everyone has a mom who stays up at midnight to wash a basketball or cheerleading uniform that needs to be clean for the next day like mine did time and time again, for which I never even said, "Thank you." How ungrateful I was as a teenager, complaining that my mom was in my business and telling me to clean my room, when other teens would have given everything for a mom at all, especially one who cares about their happiness and well-being.

My blessing goes even further. My mama is my friend, and I wish so badly to be there for her when she needs me just like she has always done for me. She deserves that and so much more. I hope the day never comes when she needs me to take care of her daily because I know she wouldn't want that, but I would happily be there and do whatever she needed. After all that I've put her through, I know I wouldn't be here without her dropping everything and running to my rescue. I love you, Mama. I hope you know that.

No comments:

Post a Comment