My Words to Live By

What is success? To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty; To find the best in others; To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived; That is to have succeeded. - Ralph Waldo Emerson


The Blessing of an Active Father

In today's society, so many children are growing up without a good father figure. As children of God, we have a wonderful Father who loves us unconditionally and is always by our side. Fortunately, I also have a wonderful earthly father. My daddy not only taught me to shoot a jumpshot and dribble left handed, but he also went to every one of my basketball games for 6 years- JV and Varsity. He understands me more than most dads would, he listens when I need a helpful ear, and he tells me I'm beautiful like I am still five years old in pigtails.

Most of all, I am thankful my daddy is a man who stands out in this society. 1 John 3:18 says, "Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth." My daddy has practiced this verse my whole life. He has always stood up for Jesus and lived the way Jesus would want him to live, even when he was the only one.  My daddy doesn't have to talk about God for people to know he's a Christian. He doesn't have to carry a Bible around and read scripture for those around him to know he is different and respect him for it. He doesn't have to tell them how to live like Jesus... He shows them. Sometimes, my daddy's faithfulness means he gets left out of worldly "fun." Some people are uncomfortable around him because he doesn't drink, smoke, or carry on. His faithfulness, whether these people realize it or not, makes them conscious of the fact that God would not approve of their actions.

Matthew 5: 14-16 says, "You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven."



I am so thankful for my daddy. I love him so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment