My Words to Live By

What is success? To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty; To find the best in others; To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived; That is to have succeeded. - Ralph Waldo Emerson


The Blessing of a Supportive Spouse

This Thanksgiving season, I want to first give thanks for my wonderful husband. While my family is stuck with me by blood, my husband has chosen to walk with me hand in hand through the ups and downs of this journey. His love for me is so obvious (most days, anyway) that I believe one would have to be blind to not see it. Many people claim to love their spouse, but I don't believe many men show that love like my husband does. He even washes dishes and clothes occasionally!! While I am so thankful for his love, most of all I am thankful for his whole-hearted support. I've struggled since our marriage to find God's plan for me as both a wife and a career woman. When we got married, I felt that I couldn't be both. I chose to be a wife. However, I quickly realized that being a wife -- as wonderful as it is -- was not the sole purpose for which God intended me. I've struggled to figure out His plan on my own and make something fit my life, my schedule, my finances... nothing seemed to work. Through it all, my husband has supported my pursuit of whatever goal I had at the time. His wish is for me to be happy and fulfilled. How wonderful is that??? Now, as I embark on my writing career, I wonder if I would have ever had the courage to do this were it not for his support.


The following poem is one of my favorites (I just wish I'd written it!). It was printed in our wedding program because this is how I always wanted to love and be loved in return. I am so blessed to have found this type of love!!

"How do I love thee?" by Elizabeth B. Browning

"How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height

My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of Being and ideal Grace.
I love thee to the level of every day's
Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.
I love thee freely, as men strive for Right;
I love thee purely, as they turn from Praise.
I love thee with a passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints, --- I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life! --- and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death."

I love you, Aaron.

No comments:

Post a Comment