My Words to Live By

What is success? To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty; To find the best in others; To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived; That is to have succeeded. - Ralph Waldo Emerson


The Blessing of Rescuing a Pet

Oh my sweet Lizzy. That first month with a little dog in the house - one with a nervous bladder because she had been mistreated - was not a good month to say the least. Aaron was gone the whole month training to deploy, which made tensions high.  Learning to be completely responsible for another living being was difficult for me... especially when I found myself scrubbing carpet more often than not. I almost changed my mind about that little dog in the beginning, but by the end of the month, her company was something on which I relied.

I can't imagine going through Aaron's deployment without Lizzy's companionship. That nervous little dog has completely stolen my heart :-) In fact, everybody loves her! My grandmother even scolded Aaron for coming to visit without bringing her granddaughter... and she was talking about Lizzy, not me!! My mama keeps a bowl ready for when Lizzy comes to over, and my daddy can't wait for her to jump into his lap. Her daddy spoils her the most, though. There is something so cute about how they both fall asleep in his chair.

We have adopted three other abandoned dogs, and each new pet comes with challenges. One ate out of the trash can for a while and was scared of everyone, one likes to roam too much, and one chews up everything! However, I highly recommend to everyone to adopt a pet. Take the time to nurture your pet and teach them how to behave, and you will reap the rewards of a loving companion. My scared trash-eater is now loving and gentle to adults (he's still terrified of kids), my wanderer loves curling up on her chair and getting her picture made, and my chewer (who still chews, but I've just taken away anything she can damage) is the sweetest puppy who just craves loving attention.

I am so thankful for my pets.

No comments:

Post a Comment