My Words to Live By

What is success? To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty; To find the best in others; To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived; That is to have succeeded. - Ralph Waldo Emerson


Praying for Guidance

Proverbs 11:14 "For lack of guidance a nation falls, but victory is won through many advisers."
Proverbs 20:18 "Plans are established by seeking advice; so if you wage war, obtain guidance."

I need some guidance in my life right now. I have several opportunities banging away at my door, but the decisions of which one(s) to take and which to refuse have me stumped. Earlier in my life, if an opportunity knocked, I assumed it was God-sent. Opportunities don't come often and don't come easily, so my experience was to take advantage of every one that crossed my path. Now, however, I realize that all opportunities are not from God. The opportunities at my door right now all seem to be good things; however, they conflict with each other. I cannot accept them all; therefore, they cannot all be from God's hand. I feel I am being tested, that my willingness to allow God to guide every aspect of my life is being challenged. And I'm stumped.

I'm a very analytical person. I have listed the pros and cons of each situation, crunched the numbers to see what would benefit me most financially, and weighed the sacrifices I'd have to make for each opportunity to be realized. I'm still stumped. In every opportunity, I see a way God could use me, which makes this decision very difficult. Each opportunity also has something I want (the key word in that sentence being "I"). The next week is going to be difficult for me because each opportunity has a deadline, so I'm asking you to please pray for guidance for me in each decision I must make.

Every sign of guidance isn't as obvious as a pillar of cloud or a pillar of fire. Like Gideon when first approached by an angel of the Lord, I wish I had a sign to show me which opportunity is from God. In Judges 6:17, "Gideon replied, “If now I have found favor in your eyes, give me a sign that it is really you talking to me." So that's my prayer today: Lord, if any of these opportunities are really from you, please give me a sign.

I've asked the advice of the people closest to me, and their advice is to pray about it. Praying about it is the easy part. It's listening for God's answer that can be hard.

Do you have a decision you need to make?
If so, are you really following God's guidance as you make your decision?

No comments:

Post a Comment