My Words to Live By

What is success? To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty; To find the best in others; To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived; That is to have succeeded. - Ralph Waldo Emerson


Disappointed and Discouraged

This morning isn't going well for me. Without going into much detail, I am disappointed in my new work schedule and discouraged about the pay drop I'm about to take because I'll be working less.

I know that God can use the extra time I'll have, but I also need a way to compensate for the lower income I'll be bringing home. Trusting God financially is so hard! I can trust him with problems and situations, but what makes trusting him with my money so different?

So I have to think about the purpose of money. We need money to buy clothes, food, housing... necessities, but God says He will provide those. So why do I need more money? To redecorate my house? To build on a deck? To add a new roof? To go out to eat more? To take a vacation? I don't need any of those things. Those are wants, not needs. I'm confident that if my roof gets worse to the point I really NEED a new one, God will provide a way for us to have a new roof.


Matthew 6:25-34 teaches us about the pointlessness of worrying:

25 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life[e]?
28 “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? 31 So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? Yes, it is. I have a wonderful family, and that's something money can't buy. Maybe I'll have more time to spend with them since I'll be working less.

Worrying about my financial situation will not help me at all. My bills are paid, my house is nice and clean, my vehicle is fairly new and in good condition, my pantry is full, my freezer and fridge are overflowing, my huge closet is jam-packed with clothes and shoes, and my bank account isn't empty. Sound like I have it pretty good! Thank you God for these blessings and for the free time I'm going to have this semester since I'm teaching fewer classes. Please help me use that free time to seek your kingdom and righteousness rather than worrying about money or feeling guilty about not contributing more financially. Also, please help my husband not feel a larger burden to provide for us since my income is dropping.

No comments:

Post a Comment