My Words to Live By

What is success? To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty; To find the best in others; To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived; That is to have succeeded. - Ralph Waldo Emerson


Bring It On

Those who've known me for years remember when I loved playing basketball in high school. I worked so hard on my fundamental skills so I could be the very best I could possibly be. I was a point guard (the player who dribbles the ball down the court and runs the offense) and could handle the ball very well.

I remember hoping the other team would run a press, which - for those of you who don't know basketball terms well - is a type of defense where the players spread the court from one end to the other trying to keep the offense from getting the ball anywhere near the goal. If the other team pressed, I knew I could dribble the ball right around them and my team would have a good chance of scoring an easy basket (most teams wouldn't press me once they saw how easily I could dribble around them). I was confident in my skills and welcomed the challenge; I wanted the chance to make the other team look bad (I was a pretty mean competitor).

I want to be like that in my Christian walk with God. I want to study my Bible and be confident enough in my faith that I challenge the devil to throw a press at me because I know I can break it.

I don't in any way wish for bad things to happen in my life, but my preacher had a very good point this morning: If Satan isn't throwing obstacles in your path, then he doesn't see you as a threat, which means you aren't following God's will. If you are following God's will, you will be a threat to Satan and he will come after you however he can.

I want to help God's team reach the goal - the goal of spreading the gospel to the lost world. If that means taking on Satan's press, then that's what I'll have to do. I'll accept the challenge... and dribble right around whatever Satan throws at me, making him look bad in the process. :-)

Are you willing to follow God's will and become a threat to Satan?
Are you ready to accept whatever challenges stand between you and God's goal for your life?

It's kind of scary knowing what all the devil may do to stop your witness. I think of all the things and people in my life he could take away or harm just to hurt me, and the thoughts make me shiver with fear. But I'm not going to let that stop me. For I will boldly say, "The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man [or Satan] shall do unto me." Hebrews 13:6

No comments:

Post a Comment