My Words to Live By

What is success? To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty; To find the best in others; To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived; That is to have succeeded. - Ralph Waldo Emerson


Are You Content?

Here's an update on what's going on in my life right now: I teach at Troy University every day until lunch; I answer phones at a construction company every afternoon; I write my novel when the phones aren't ringing at work; I still sell Avon anytime and anywhere I can and train new Avon representatives in the area; I try to squeeze in time for writing this blog (which has been difficult lately); I've started attending Spring Hill Baptist Church and have joined the choir there; and I'm very tired all the time lol.

My life is so different than I ever pictured it would be! I thought I'd have a regular 9-5 like most people, but that wasn't in God's plans for me obviously. Instead, I have 4 jobs (I count my novel as a job even though it isn't paying yet) and still feel like I'm not doing enough some days because my paychecks sure don't seem to reflect how much I work. I'm trying to fill my life, but I'm not content.

That's about to change.

1 Timothy 6:

6But godliness with contentment is great gain.
7For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out.
8And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.
9But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition.
10For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.
11But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness.
12Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, whereunto thou art also called, and hast professed a good profession before many witnesses.

Godliness with contentment is great gain!!! Always wanting more is a bad thing. If serving God is our number one priority, then we should daily be seeking "righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, and meekness." Let me put that modern day terms: We should act worthy of respect and honor, strive to be pure both inside and out, trust God with everything in our lives, love Him and love others, bear whatever life throws our way  (from a traffic jam to sickness) with mental and emotional strength, and do this all without pride or arrogance, submitting to His will. Your reward - in addition to a closer relationship with Him - is contentment. I want that!!

Too often in today's society, we rely on material things or circumstances to supply our happiness. I don't want to be happy based on just those things because they can be taken away! If my happiness is dependent upon them, my happiness is fleeting. I want to be happy no matter what my circumstances are; that's contentment.

So, to find true peace and contentment based on 1 Timothy 6:11, we need to:

BATHE in His Love

B= Be pure
A= Act worthy
T= Trust Him
H= Humbly submit
E= Endure hardships

and do this all in His Love.

It makes a lot of sense!! When you focus on God and let His will wash over your life, your happiness will be based on Him, and that's a happiness which will never be taken away.

No comments:

Post a Comment