My Words to Live By

What is success? To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty; To find the best in others; To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived; That is to have succeeded. - Ralph Waldo Emerson


Love the Lord... and your neighbor

Jesus said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ This is the first and great commandment.  And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.” (Matthew 22:37-40)

Jesus gave us these two most important commandments: Love God completely with every part of yourself and love your neighbor as you love yourself. How often we fail these two simple commandments! If our love for God steered every part of our daily lives, life would be much simpler. It may not be easier because Satan would try his best to stop our witness, but it would be as simple as the question What Would Jesus Do?

I find myself discouraged lately by simple things in life- making the bed, washing the dishes, cleaning up messes, grading papers, grocery shopping (Walmart- ugh!). You know exactly what I'm talking about because everyone has those days where we just want to take a break from the daily grind, the daily chores.

When you have one of those days, just ask yourself What Would Jesus Do? Jesus washed the feet of his disciples. Do you think he'd get torked out by making a bed or washing dishes? Of course not; therefore, I shouldn't either. In every action of my day, I should perform my tasks as I could imagine Jesus would want me to do them. I bet he wasn't huffing and puffing with a scowl on his face as he washed the men's feet, so I shouldn't be irritated when I'm washing my dog.

If your love for God motivated everything you did today, what would you do differently? Of course, you may say you'd be out witnessing instead of going to work, and that's understandable. But can you witness at work?? Yes! Even if your job requires that you not speak of religion, the smile on your face can be your witness. I bet Jesus smiled even when he'd been walking for days. You know he got physically tired just like we do because he was human. I bet he had blisters and backaches from all the walking he did, but I bet he never let an ache keep him from spreading the love God sent him here to share with mankind.

The second commandment- love your neighbor as yourself- will come naturally if everything we do is motivated by our love of God. Everything else falls into place when He takes #1 priority.

No comments:

Post a Comment