My Words to Live By

What is success? To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty; To find the best in others; To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived; That is to have succeeded. - Ralph Waldo Emerson


Hit the Pause Button

"Nothing worth having was ever achieved without effort." -Theodore Roosevelt

When I decorated my home office, framing this quotation and hanging it on my wall where it would be seen every day was the finishing touch. When I feel frustrated and overwhelmed for whatever reason, this makes me pause, step back, take a deep breath, and look at my situation objectively. When I do this, I come to either one of two conclusions: what I'm working so hard toward is either worth it or it's not.

On my office walls, you'll also find quotes such as "Consider the lilies," "Be thankful the thornbush has roses," "Bloom where you are planted," and "Take time to smell the roses" (detect a theme?? lol). These floral-inspired sayings are great motivational tools, but the quote that really sums up all the others is written on my chalkboard- "Now and then, it is good to PAUSE in our pursuit of happiness and just BE HAPPY."

Sometimes, we are such "busy bees" that we don't take time to just "be." This doesn't mean being lazy; it means taking advantage of the happiness found in every moment. Spending time with your husband when he's soon leaving for a business trip is more important that folding laundry, playing with your toddler is more important that what's happening on Facebook, studying for your big exam is more important than watching your favorite television show (that's what DVR is for!).

I struggle with prioritizing my time, but I'm determined to do better as I prepare to start my new 8-5 job in a couple of weeks. I don't want to simply do what needs to be done every day- I want to make the most of everything I do and enjoy the process. Yesterday morning on Rachel Ray, Jennifer Hudson was the special guest, and they were talking about exercise, saying you had to make it more like "recess" when you were in elementary school rather than "gym time." That's a great point!

I encourage you and me both to make life fun! Who says folding laundry or cooking dinner has to be boring!! When I cook, sometimes I put on high heels and a cute apron, then pretend I'm hosting my own cooking show lol. Try it sometime!! Work has to be done; that's a given. But that doesn't mean you can't take time to enjoy what you're doing.

Today, I challenge you to pause in your pursuit of happiness and just be happy!!

Dear Lord,
Thank you for all of the blessings you have in store for me today. Please help me not to be so busy that I miss out on them.
In Jesus' name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment