My Words to Live By

What is success? To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty; To find the best in others; To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived; That is to have succeeded. - Ralph Waldo Emerson


Cabin Fever

"Lord, build me just a cabin in the corner of gloryland, in the shade of that tree of life that it may ever stand, where I can just hear the angels sing and shake Jesus' hand. Lord, build me a cabin in the corner of gloryland."

For some reason, this song has been stuck in my head for a week now! Everyone has certain songs that take them back to childhood in such an overwhelming sense that it feels like that was only yesterday. This song does that for me, and so much more.

When I was three years old, I sang this song in front of my church with help from my daddy singing along and his daddy playing the guitar- or the "Git- tarr" as Granddaddy used to say. Then, about six years later, we sang this song again in front of the same little country church, but this time with my little brother, who was about three years old then.

Last night, I had the amazing privilege of watching my little brother perform live with an entire jazz orchestra. I know those of you who are parents or siblings will understand the rush of pride that is still washing over me this morning. I see so many bright things in his future and firmly believe that God has HUGE plans for this talented young man. I don't believe God bestows such wonderful talents without intentions of using them to His glory if we allow Him to do so, and I'm so proud that my brother is allowing God to use him.

Yet sometimes we forget that every talent, every blessing comes from God. IT IS GOD'S. My writing ability isn't mine - it's God's. My brother's voice isn't really his - it's God's. If you are a child of God, everything you have belongs to Him, and He has given it to you to use for His glory.

Are you using what He has given you?
Are you glorifying Him with your talents?
Or are you focused on yourself, building up mansions on earth?

Matthew 6:19-21 says,

19 Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: 20 But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: 21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

Well, as much as I like nice things here on earth, I'd trade any earthly goods for just a small cabin in the corner of gloryland just to be in the presence of the Lord. I hope you would, too.

Lord,
Help us today to remember that everything we own belongs to You. When we get distracted by earthly things, remind us that our cabin awaits in gloryland. We love you and thank you so much for that!
In Jesus' name,
Amen

WATCH THE FIRST VIDEO ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THIS BLOG TO SEE PART OF MY BROTHER'S PERFORMANCE LAST NIGHT! I'M SO PROUD!

**If you don't remember this oldie but goodie, please visit http://youtu.be/KS0YuCdmokM to hear the Hank Williams version. It reminds me so much of my granddaddy's tenor singing along!

No comments:

Post a Comment