My Words to Live By

What is success? To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty; To find the best in others; To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived; That is to have succeeded. - Ralph Waldo Emerson


Looking back and moving forward

Two years ago, I wrote a new poem and posted it on my blog. I cry now as I read it and realize that my prayer in the last stanza has come to fruition. I told the Lord to break me if that's what it would take to show me how to serve Him, and I have definitely been broken. I told Him to blur my vision of my future if He had something different planned for me, and He has definitely done so recently.

I'm sharing this poem with you again because it is my prayer today. I see God working in so many aspects of my life right now, and I need to remind myself daily to respond to these changes with a willing heart rather than with sadness, confusion, anger, or despair. He has a perfect plan.

"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Lord, Make Me Uncomfortable
Lord, make me uncomfortable with my daily routine
So I'll follow your steps wherever they lead.
Make me uncomfortable as I'm cooking dinner
So I'll remember the sheep you want me to feed.


Make my recliner less comfortable for sitting
So I'll spend more time moving and less as a slouch.
Doing your will and reaching the lost
Can hardly be done with a remote from the couch.


Make me uncomfortable when I'm in the presence
Of ungodly things of which you disapprove.
Make me uncomfortable keeping my mouth shut
When Your Spirit through me is trying to move.


Make my plans hazy and my dreams disappear
If you have different goals planned for me.
Break my heart, my body, and soul,
If that's how I will better serve Thee.

No comments:

Post a Comment