My Words to Live By

What is success? To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty; To find the best in others; To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived; That is to have succeeded. - Ralph Waldo Emerson


There's No Place Like Home

I stood in the kitchen staring into my cabinets trying to decide what to cook for lunch. Cooking for one has its challenges. I don't want to make some big fancy meal and be stuck eating leftovers all week, the same meal over and over again (been there, done that, washed those dishes!), but I refuse to eat single serving mac-n-cheese or Lean Cuisine meals!

If I were at Mama's house, I could be having pork chops, peas, mashed potatoes, mac-n-cheese, crescent rolls, sweet tea... I close my eyes and click my barefooted heels together: "There's no place like home. There's no place like home. There's no place like home."

Why should I be here cooking for one when I could be eating with my family?? Why should I look for ways to pass the time when I could be helping my grandmother water her tomato plants, sitting under the tree in the swing with my cousins at my aunt's house, or laying out with Mama by the pool?

So, barefooted in the kitchen of this rental house that will never be home, today I made the decision to move back to my hometown, the community where I grew up, the church where I was raised. Family is the most cherished aspect of my life, and to be able to spend precious moments with them is one wonderful blessing to come out of this mess my life seems to have become. God is going to bless this mess... I can feel it coming!!

Thank you, Lord, for blessing me with such a supportive, loving, faith-filled family and for allowing me this opportunity to draw closer to them and to You.

I'm going home!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment