My Words to Live By

What is success? To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty; To find the best in others; To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived; That is to have succeeded. - Ralph Waldo Emerson


Doing the Laundry

As I type this morning, out of the corner of my eye I can see the overflowing basket of clothes that need to be folded and put away. It's very distracting for many reasons. First, I know that the majority of the clothes in that basket will need to be fluffed - or ironed, ugh - because they weren't hung up immediately out of the dryer. Second, I also know there is a load of towels in the dryer waiting to be taken out. Third, there are still dirty clothes in the hamper.

Part of me feels I should drop everything and take care of the laundry right now, while another part says that we have plenty of clean clothes to wear and the hamper will have dirty clothes again by the end of the day, so why the rush? You probably have these little voices in your head, too! So, which one wins?

It really doesn't matter. Laundry is just laundry! It isn't a big deal. A pile of dirty laundry to be washed and a pile of clean clothes to be folded simply means that you are blessed with plenty of clothes to keep you warm, electricity and water to run your washing machine, and a full life to keep you busy. When was the last time you told God you were thankful for those simple luxuries? Do you even realize that clothes and electricity are luxuries or that life is a blessing in itself?

Today, I want to thank God that I have laundry to do, that I have a husband who cares enough about our life together that he dirties up a set of clothes at work every day and another set every afternoon working in our yard, that I have a washer and dryer and don't have to wash my clothes by hand (I do occasionally still hang clothes out to dry, just to be frugal), that my sink is full of dishes because I've been cooking for my family Christmas gathering, and that my dishwasher works :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment