My Words to Live By

What is success? To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty; To find the best in others; To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived; That is to have succeeded. - Ralph Waldo Emerson


Resolutions

Usually, my new year's resolutions tend to be pretty self-centered, like to lose weight, eat healthier, and exercise regularly. I'm not going to make those self-centered resolutions this year. Yes, I do hope to lose about 10 pounds before swimsuit season rolls back around, but that isn't a top priority so I'm not counting it as a resolution. My husband and I are making financial goals for 2012, but I'm not counting those as resolutions either.

This year, my resolution is to uphold Philippians 2:3, "Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves." Rather than focusing on my own vanity (my weight) and ambition (our finances), I want to build closer relationships with my husband, my family, my friends, and my Savior. Philippians 2:1-8 says:

1 Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, 2 then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind. 3 Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, 4 not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.
5 In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus:
6 Who, being in very nature[a] God,
did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage;
7 rather, he made himself nothing
by taking the very nature[b] of a servant,
being made in human likeness.
8 And being found in appearance as a man,
he humbled himself
by becoming obedient to death—
even death on a cross!




What are your resolutions for 2012? Are they focused on you or on others? Remember what resolutions are most important: keep our eyes on "things that are nobler," draw closer to Jesus, "heed what He sayeth, do what He willeth" to abide in His kingdom day by day.

I AM RESOLVED

I am resolved no longer to linger,
Charmed by the world’s delight,
Things that are higher, things that are nobler,
These have allured my sight.


I am resolved to go to the Savior,
Leaving my sin and strife;
He is the true One, He is the just One,
He hath the words of life.

I am resolved to follow the Savior,
Faithful and true each day;
Heed what He sayeth, do what He willeth,
He is the living Way.


I am resolved to enter the kingdom
Leaving the paths of sin;
Friends may oppose me, foes may beset me,
Still will I enter in.


I am resolved, and who will go with me?
Come, friends, without delay,
Taught by the Bible, led by the Spirit,
We’ll walk the heav’nly way.


I will hasten to Him, hasten so glad and free;
Jesus, greatest, highest, I will come to Thee.
I will hasten, hasten to Him, hasten so glad and free;
Jesus, Jesus, greatest, highest, I will come to Thee.

http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/i/a/iamresol.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment