My Words to Live By

What is success? To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty; To find the best in others; To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived; That is to have succeeded. - Ralph Waldo Emerson


Lord, Make Me Uncomfortable

The following quote is one of my favorites because I feel it is so true. When people become too comfortable, we stop moving forward. We slip into routines, and sometimes God has to force us out of those routines just to get our attention. Psychiatrist M. Scott Peck said, "The truth is that our finest moments are most likely to occur when we are feeling deeply uncomfortable, unhappy, or unfulfilled. For it is only in such moments, propelled by our discomfort, that we are likely to step out of our ruts and start searching for different ways or truer answers." I firmly believe that God uses our discomfort and our unhappiness to mold us into better people. With this in mind as I sat down to write my devotion today, this poem formed instead. I hope you enjoy it.

Lord, Make Me Uncomfortable

Lord, make me uncomfortable with my daily routine
So I'll follow your steps wherever they lead.
Make me uncomfortable as I'm cooking dinner
So I'll remember the sheep you want me to feed.


Make my recliner less comfortable for sitting
So I'll spend more time moving and less as a slouch.
Doing your will and reaching the lost
Can hardly be done with a remote from the couch.


Make me uncomfortable when I'm in the presence
Of ungodly things of which you disapprove.
Make me uncomfortable keeping my mouth shut
When Your Spirit through me is trying to move.


Make my plans hazy and my dreams disappear
If you have different goals planned for me.
Break my heart, my body, and soul,
If that's how I will better serve Thee.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! I agree 100%! This is what I mean when I tell people to get out of there comfort zones. You can't expect the lost to just come to church...you have to get out there with the lost and take Jesus to them. Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete