My Words to Live By

What is success? To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty; To find the best in others; To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived; That is to have succeeded. - Ralph Waldo Emerson


Unwrap Your Gift

This past Saturday, I was blessed to spend the day with my mama, grandma, and aunt doing what guys would say women do best: shopping!!! As we searched for gifts for the entire extended family, I was overwhelmed with gratitude to just have a day in the presence of these wonderful women who have supported me throughout the years. Spending the day with them is greater than any gift they could give me to unwrap this year.

Our shopping expedition for Christmas presents followed by watching my brother show off his amazing talent with his university choral group got me thinking about the different types of gifts. I am not a Biblical scholar, nor do I have any special wisdom to impart to the world. However, the Lord has gifted me with a way with words, an understanding of how to relate HIS wisdom to today's believers. I may not be capable of great things, but I know He can do amazing things through me if I continue to use my gift for His purpose.

What is your gift? What talent has God given specifically to you? Romans 12:4-6 says, "Just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, so in Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. We have different gifts, according to the grace given us." Some gifts are obvious, like my little brother's voice. He's an amazing singer, and there is no question that his voice is a gift from God. Other talents aren't as obvious, but are just as important, such as the gift of encouragement. I have people in my life who are blessings simply because they care about me, call just to see how I'm doing, and offer an uplifting word when I'm down. Your gift will be revealed to you when you are pursuing your relationship with Christ. You can't always figure it out on your own (believe me, I've tried). Ask God how He wants to use you... and listen for His answer.

Now, here's an important question: Have you opened your gift or is it still sitting under the tree wrapped with a pretty bow because you're too busy? When I am struggling between teaching, grading papers, cleaning house, cooking, and running errands, I often feel pressed to find time to sit down at a computer to write. However, what is more important than doing what God wants me to do? Washing dishes????? Definitely not. Look for ways to use the talent God has given you and make them part of your daily routine. If your gift is encouragement, make time each day to call a family member or friend. If your gift is song, sing every chance you get.

God has blessed you beyond your comprehension by giving you not only eternal life but also a purpose in this world. You have been blessed with a gift He designed specifically for you to use for His glory. How are you using your gift?

No comments:

Post a Comment