My Words to Live By

What is success? To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty; To find the best in others; To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived; That is to have succeeded. - Ralph Waldo Emerson


Time Well Spent

Today, as I wasted much of my morning browsing the internet and asking my Facebook friends for cute, simple finger food recipes to take to my family Christmas tomorrow, I started thinking about how much time I spend searching the Internet for ideas and advice.  I’m not saying spending time on the Internet is bad. In fact, my cute veggie Christmas wreath, cranberry spread, and festive fudge (I’ll try to remember to post pictures tomorrow) will hopefully prove its usefulness! I’m just pointing out the ways we choose to spend our time.

Ever heard of Pinterest?? Well, I am slightly addicted. If I spent half as much time reading the Bible as I do on Pinterest and half as much time seeing what God has posted in His Word rather than what random friends have posted on their Facebook walls, how different would my life be?

Think of your daily routine: pack lunches for the kids, make the bed, fold the laundry, wash the dishes, go to work, buy groceries, pump gas, cook supper, lay out clothes for the next day, watch TV, surf the Internet, respond to emails, talk to your mom on the phone, text your spouse, spend time with your family, feed the dogs, steal a minute or two of quiet time to read a book – there isn’t a lot of free time. With Christmas just a few days away, you can probably add baking cookies, hanging decorations, shopping, wrapping gifts, and going to holiday parties to your to-do list.

What part of your day is set aside for your relationship with your Savior? Furthermore, what part of your holiday is set aside to actually celebrate your Savior’s birth? I hope we all make time for Him every day, especially during the hustle and bustle of the holiday chaos, so we can enjoy the benefits of a close relationship with the One who loves us beyond measure.

No comments:

Post a Comment