My Words to Live By

What is success? To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty; To find the best in others; To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived; That is to have succeeded. - Ralph Waldo Emerson


Goals for 2013

This new year poses new opportunities for me - the publishing of my first novel being at the forefront - and I want to make sure I start this year off right! I'm not making resolutions -- I always need to eat healthy and exercise, why start January 1st? -- but I am taking the time to evaluate my life and make decisions I know will benefit me in many ways.

One of those "resolutions" I plan to share with you and hope you will join me in making this resolution yourself!

I read the Bible through many many years ago, but I feel that knowing my beliefs backwards and forwards is extremely important in today's society where Christianity is being put down and discarded by many. To be honest, the idea of reading the Bible through has often seemed a chore to me. I can make it through Genesis, but I get stuck in Exodus and Leviticus (I cannot get passed the "begots"). I know myself well enough to know that after a two days of "___ begot ____ and ____ begot ____", I'd be less likely to pick up my Bible on the third day, and my whole rhythm and motivation would be messed up.

So, I searched for a plan that would work for me! I like the idea of reading the Bible chronologically, but I'd still end up in Exodus day after day for a while, so that wouldn't work. I also like the plan that involves reading three separate passages from different areas in the Bible each day, but I don't feel that reading about multiple topics all at once will give me the best overall study. I'd rather just focus on one passage each day.

Then I found it! The study I've chosen to use is the One Year Bible Reading Plan on www.christiananswers.net. Each day of the week studies a specific type of writing from the Bible: Monday- The Law, Tuesday- History, Wednesday- Psalms, Thursday- Poetry, Friday- Prophecy, Saturday- Gospels, Sunday- Epistles. I love this plan!! Varying the types of passages from day to day will keep the text feeling fresh, and I like that it is broken down in to weeks rather than starting January 1st.

I will be blogging about the passages I'm studying so you can learn with me as I go, and I'd love to hear your feedback. Send me an email: rhondastaylor.blogspot@gmail.com.

I hope you had a wonderful CHRISTmas -- I sure did! -- and pray you have a happy and healthy 2013!



**My wonderful parents also gave me a new study Bible for Christmas. It's beautiful!! and HEAVY!!! I needed a large print study Bible to use while sitting at my writing desk, and this is perfect! Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment